Sunday, September 4, 2011

Never Abandoned ... Part Two

Daddy preached from II Corinthians 12:7-10 tonight. It was a great message all about the thorn in Paul's flesh. I had never thought of it until he mentioned, but the Bible never tells us what exactly that thorn in his flesh was. Paul asked the Lord three different times to remove it from him, but you know what? God didn't, because He had a better plan!

Instead of taking away Paul's affliction, God gave him grace to endure. He had a purpose for giving this particular trial to Paul. I have no doubt that it made his life and his ministry difficult, but God taught him many things through his struggling.

I couldn't help but think how very similar Mommy is to Paul. This sickness is a thorn in her flesh, and a struggle for her as well as our family and many people close to us! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Mommy and realize I need to cherish every day that God gives us. It's a sobering thought, and its a constant battle of choosing positive thinking over the negative and often times, sadness that lies just beneath our smiles.

Every day is not sad. Most days are full of laughter and our silly antics, someone is always cracking a joke or retelling one they've heard. These are days I sit back and smile and thank God for the awesome family He's put me in. * smiles *

Through this ordeal, God has brought my parents closer together | our family closer together | and knitted our hearts close to that of our very sweet church family. We have laughed together, we have cried together, we have prayed together. I love that, it is one of the best things about being where I am!

Some people have said, "All you need is a little more Faith, God has power to heal!" But Paul did not lack Faith, nor a righteous testimony! Neither did Jesus as he suffered affliction or went to the cross. Simply, the Father had better plans! It is the fear of the unknown and the knowledge that no matter how afraid we are to just yield Mommy to Him, His ways are far better.

Daddy pointed out vs 9 where Paul says: "... therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities," That one word is Paul saying "Regardless of what I'm going through, I will keep looking up; keep focusing on the positives and the blessings!"


... I thought all my tears were gone. But they aren't. God is close to me, close to us. And for that, I am so very thankful.


Romans 8:18 ...

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

3 comments :

Caleb said...

Thanks for posting Brittany.

It makes me sick some times when people say "If you just have enough faith, you'll be healed." So many times people try to put man in the driver seat and in control when the whole time God is saying "I'm in control!" Learning to rest in God is so hard sometimes, but when we do what peace He gives us! We are continuing to pray for you guys!

Brittany said...

Thank you for reading! You're right, it is hard to just rest in the Lord at times. It seems that every time that I give something to God, he reminds me it's an every day thing that I have to RE-commit to Him. Thank you so much for the prayers, Caleb!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Made me cry but, oh well. Gotta get it out sometimes... Love y'all so much. Praying for y'all... - Nathan

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift