Tuesday, November 15, 2011

10 Things Come To Mind

So I've begun my second week at Thompson Dentistry, and it hasn't been without it's interesting moments. To sum it all up so far, there's a handful of little things that instantly come to mind.

1) Scrubs.

Quite the necessity when I'm trying to maneuver my way around the small space of an operating room. Only, the girl flipped the tag around once upon a time and cried, "If I were a rich man ... yada, yada, yada, yah."


2) The Weekend.

Where most people find those 2-3 days such an amazing thing, I discovered that it's like a big warning sign that says "Leave this office today, and you'll be wracking your brain come Monday morning."

Such is the life of a Newbie Assistant, I suppose. I mean really, I've NEVER been a fan of anything having to do with a dentist so I never considered actually paying attention to what they do when I'm in that chair, wearing those ridiculous glasses and staring up at that adjustable odd-colored light above my head.

You watch, next time I get in that chair I'll be on that girl like stink on a monkey. No darling, that's not what comes next and don't even think about sticking that thing in my mouth ... etc. * Just Kidding. I shall be ridiculously nice. *

3) The Color Blue.

When in doubt picking shades, always look at the color Blue. Something, something about something in your eye ... I want to say Cornia in your eye, but in all honesty the girl has so much information overloaded into her brain at this present time, it would be pointless to guess. Just know that the color Blue is pretty nifty.

4) That Little Aggrivation ...

When my clogs -- which happen to be impossibly comfortable and fantastic for being on the go from 7:30 in the morning to 6:00 in the evening -- sound like man shoes when I'm up in Gordonsville walking around on those old hardwood floors. I tried tip-toeing this morning, Frances caught me and laughed. I imagine I looked quite comical like that, but alas the girl finally gave up her efforts and accepted failure.

5) Questions.

I ask a million and five of these on average per day. If you thought I talked alot before, you should be happy to know that whatever is coming out of my mouth these days is phrased as a question. It starts with "Johnna ...?" Usually, she pops around the corner. Always smiling and keeping it real. How cool is that?

6) Them Latex Gloves.

Is Bah-gillion a real number? I think it is, because I've suddenly lost count of the many pairs of gloves I've used since I first walked into that office. But Dr. Jay is a real stickler for not spreading germs and all that ickiness. So it's 5 million pairs I snap over my fingers and toss out every day, and my hands smell like Latex after that.

7) Blood & Smells.

I'm the oldest of six. Boys will be boys, and the girls will be TomBoys when the moment is right. Basically, I'm not too much of a wimp when it comes to blood and funny chemical smells. But I've had two different encounters with the combination and come close to passing out. I mean really, if you're standing over some shaking stranger | their mouth oozing a much larger amount of blood than you would think possible from such a small incision | and brain-storming what's going to happen next, it gets a little nerve-wracking.

But little things like that first meal of the day { don't ever laugh when someone tells you this again, it's so true! } chewing gum, etc are big life-savers let me tell you. The girl passed with flying colors, and this delights her heart a great deal.

8) Articulating Paper. Op Boxes. Retraction Cord. Amalgum.

When I look at the chart and find anything having to do with these handful of items, I smile. I am slowly but surely finding my way around and these are things I know better than almost anything else. Oh yes, especially when the chart says Fuji2 ... I know this means the whole ordeal is going to be simple and interesting. Half the stuff still sounds like Greek to me, until I see these and I get all excited and smile because I KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM! This is really big for me, because at random times, I walk around looking just a little lost. * haha *

9) Burr Blocks.

So it's this little thing ... that I first had a mini-heart attack when I discovered I'd have to organize them in order. Now, I love doing this! Probably because what looked like the hardest thing turned into the absolute easiest and relaxing thing I do at work. Just hang out in the sanitation room and organize Burr Blocks. It doesn't even sound exciting, I know. But it's just a glimpse into what I'm doing. * smiles *




10) Humor.

There's always something interesting happening when you work with people and talk to strangers on a daily basis. It's different than going to the mall and just walking past people. When you walk into the waiting room and you see this lady freaking out | tight-lipped and nervous, your social skills get kicked into high gear to set their minds at ease and assure them you're not playing Devil's advocate or anything. * winks *









2 comments :

BFF said...

For you ten things come to mind, but for me it's abou ten billion questions!! :0 jk lol but it's alot more than ten things!! ;) I hope you are doing better an all!!;)

Brittany said...

Haha! Well, I've got a million and five questions myself. But I think I'll figure it out sooner or later. ;) Thank you btw, so am I!

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift