Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Things He Says

It was just a typical Saturday morning, where we eat breakfast late and watch the morning news. There was a particular story about that guy who got killed somewhere, Trayvon Williams. I think, I am not typically into a lot of news, etc.  

Yeah,” Mckenna pushes her bagel into the toaster and leans against the counter. “Did you hear what Obama said about it?”

I’m sitting at the kitchen table, only half interested in the news and feeling almost entirely clueless about the whole thing. I shake my head, “No. What?”

He said, ‘If I had a son, he would look just like Trayvon.’ They‘re making it a race issue, but really? I mean, WHY would a Hispanic man shoot down a black kid because he‘s racist? Stupid.”

Yeah! Well you know what I think?” Joshy drops his cereal bowl in the sink and shoves his hands into the pocket of his worn jeans. We smile, something inspirational is about to come out of this child’s mouth we know. “I think Obama said that just because he might be Afron-American. I think he is!”

Uh huh, I’m thinking you’re probably right!” Mckenna said, working over her smile. We exchanged grins, repeating him under hushed tones as he ran outside to play in the Rain.

My, how I love that child.

0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift