Thursday, June 7, 2012

God's Sense of Humor Is Huge.

The light of early dawn crept beyond my window, casting mixed shadows of moonlight and rising sun. I burrowed deep beneath my quilt and sighed, contentedly. There's something about knowing the day ahead will ask nothing of you; that nothing requires your attention at any particular time. Time is your own, and if you never once look at the clock through out the day the world will be just fine ...

The little munchkin man flopped one arm across my stomach unceremoniously and mumbled something unintelligable in his sleep. Leaning over, I kissed his smoothe forehead, whispering "I love you, Baby Man" into the quiet before giving in to the sleep that was desperately calling my name.

Somewhere in the distance, my phone vibrated and the phone's somewhat annoying ring peppered the sleepy haze of my dream. My eyes were heavy. Who called people so early in the morning anyways? It could keep ringing for all I cared at that moment, even if I did have the faintest feeling someone was trying in earnest persistence to get a hold of the girl.

"Hey Baby," Daddy's voice sounded as far away as the phone had just moments before. I barely groaned acknowledgement. "Are you supposed to work today?"

"No, tomorrow."

"Um, well ... Frances? is on the phone for you. They were worried about you when you didn't come in." He sounded skeptical, like there were things about this show-down the girl had no idea of. Had he any idea the heart attack his girl-child was about to have? By this time I was propped up on one arm, squinting in horror at him. He held the phone out ot me, even as my head groaned, "No, No. I'm not awake yet! I can't muster phone pep in finger-snap quickness."

Nevertheless. When Life chucks lemons at you, you make the best dad-gum lemonade ever known to man. True true, Charles ... So I mustered up the pep, and the voice that came out surprised the girl so much she just about fell over.

"Hi Sugar," Frances' pep was a constant. The woman was a living breathing energizer bunny, and her voice never betrayed her. Not once, not even when patients came in and reamed her out completely just for the heck of it. "Are you alright, honey? We were worried when we couldn't get a hold of you."

See, the awesome thing about my job is that they're {legit} more concerned about YOU than whether or not you're at work on time or not. If you're having one of those days and screw up your calendar and totally swap the days you're supposed to work and don't show up ... yeah, they'll be more concerned about your welfare and the why. Not in you being a complete goose and disorganized.

Girl hung up phone after apologizing for mix-up, etc and launched into hurried morning routine, mumbling "junk" under her breath a handful of times in the process. "Junk" is entirely pointless but makes her feel entirely better about the world. Surprisingly, I was calm and collected.

"Man! God's got a disgustingly huuuuge sense of humor." I hollered into the next room where Daddy had settled down with coffee and Fox news. Okay, I was a little jealous he had time to kill first thing ... not to mention, the coffee. "He knows I hate being late. And how I kill bill to keep track of my weird schedules."

"I wouldn't be knocking God's sense of Humor this morning," Dad grinned. Ah, the man was smiling right there along with God. They know me well, and I suppose if you think about it twas a bit comical throwing girl for loops today.

The moment I walked in the door, my boss grinned. "Hey Good Morning, you almost missed it!"

"Don't." I ran two fingers across my mouth, zipped lip-throw away key motion. Then I laughed, leaning over the keyboard to clock in for the day. "No words. I'm sorry I'm late."

And of course, it was all fine and good. The day went smoothly and made me smile. Between one of the most delicious cups of coffee ever, yummy food and a bottle of {my favorite} Sweet Tea, the girl was on a roll from start to finish.  So really, all's well that ends well right?

Of course. Of course. 






0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift