Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Donkey Is A Donkey.

Just the other day, as I was sitting in the living room looking something up online and quite possibly working on Monday's post, our family had a moment. Not just any kind of moment, but rather one that was unique in and of itself.

We've grown up knowing not to repeat certain words we've heard, but sometimes I think munchkins don't always think about the way they go about putting that into practice.

The Scene:

Abigail was busying herself with something or other at the kitchen counter, and making horrible grunting noises. I guessed she had suddenly discovered the fine balance between her throat and her mouth working in harmony to make such a noise and found it all ridiculously amusing.

I ignored the noise for several minutes, just typing away at my little computer and minding my own business. She wasn't bothering me at the moment and it really wasn't SUCH a big deal. In a matter of minutes, I discovered Mckenna didn't happen to share my sentiments ...

"Abigail." Her tone was solid, and grave. "Don't do that. You sound like a donkey."

In a Walgreens world, the conversation would've ended right there. With everyone going their separate ways and the noises ceasing unceremoniously. But you know, we don't live in a Walgreens world. We just don't. And so, it was with silent horror that Abigail turned on Mckenna, jaw dropped.

"Don't say that! It's like calling someone an 'Arse'!" Clearly, she was offended. That much was obvious.

And wanted her sister to realize what she'd just done, hardly taking time to note she'd used a word that typically is only mentioned when reading certain verses in the Bible around here. * cough *

Immediately, my head shot up from behind my laptop. And with the self-same horror, Mckenna whirled around beside Abigail. Such an unlucky place to be when your big sister isn't so very happy with you. "Abigail! We don't say that word! We don't."

Around the corner, comes Sammy. Running into the kitchen with his pencil still snug in his hand, having been distracted from his Math no doubt. "Yeah, you big old Battle Arse!"

So very like Sam to get involved. So very like him to make a bad situation even worse. So very much like him in every way. Because after all, what little brother wouldn't want to give his two cents in a family over run with girls. Leave it to a little man to get something like that wrong ...

Behind my computer, the girl secretly died. It was hilarious and horrible all at the same time, I didn't quite know what to do! Of course, as soon as we had managed to compose ourselves, Mckenna & I were forced to reprimand them. Oh the joys of being responsible for little people and their twisted phrases and language. * smiles *

1 comments :

Unknown said...

I loved, ma'am! :) Glad your family has those "moments" too. ;)

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift