Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Name In Tiny Orange Letters

 
I opened my eyes, as a thin stream of moonlight filtered in through the leafless trees outside my bedroom window. The sky was cloudy and gray, the house was cold and silent.

The light from my phone suddenly lit up my room and I squinted against it. I still had time to sleep and in the quiet I couldn't help but smile. I could sleep to the sound of the rain beating against my window, I really could.

And in what seemed like no time, Sunlight replaced Moonlight and I pushed the quilt back inches at a time. "I really can't stay ..." I groaned sleepily.

"But Baby, it's COLD out there!" My bed sang in reply. It didn't help that it was all warm and cozey, the air still cold.

Suddenly, I remembered my radio. Isn't that such a randomly convenient song to wake up to first thing? I thought so, but it got me out of bed.

"Today's gonna be ridiculously productive." I told the girl in the mirror. It just sounded like a really good idea, a good motivation to be up and going.

And thus, my Wednesday morning started off with a bang ...

  • A steamy cup of Coffee and a Breakfast delivered by the golden haired child himself, a dimpled smile thrown into the mix for good measure.

  • I looked at the little man for a solid minute, he had flopped on the end of my bed and lay there watching Dolly paw at my mirror. He was growing up, my little baby-cheeked munchkin man. All too quickly at that! Already he came just below my chin, and boasted of being tough and strong and wise, capable of doing the unthinkable like Captain America and Superman.

  • And with a water bottle in my hand -- as if anyone would or could be thirsty on a day when the rain fell so hard and in such great abundance that people sought out Noah and his ark -- I tiptoed down the sidewalk to my little white car, realizing only then that I was wearing Uggs and while they would keep me warm, there was a 98% chance they'd be getting wet at some point. * sigh *

  • Quickly, I contemplated changing them but then decided against it. I would be early today; like ridiculously early and really, I was falling in love with such an idea as that. So off to town I went, following an assumed drunk on a Wednesday morning. These people were all over the road for the longest time, and finally they hit a side road and that was the end of that.

  • Later we attempted Christmas shopping in Charly, my sweet grandma & I. We walked and talked, loaded and unloaded the basket some more, until finally we looked at each other and said, "Is it New Years yet? I think we're through, right?"

  • Back out into the rain we rain, sloshing through puddles that were unavoidable and shrieking when the wind almost blew the floral Van Gogh umbrella right out of my hand.

  • Then it was Apple Bees, tucked away in a nice little booth where it was warm and dry. All the smells making our appetites grow by the minute. And when our food came, the Cheesy Chicken Penne Pasta was a sight to behold, a delicous smell that filled my senses.

  • The roads were flooded, thanks to the lovely downpour. I thought how awesome would it be to take a bucket of soapy water and a big old sponge out and do a swell job of washing the little white Honda when I got home, but alas the girl didn't need a shower so she ran inside lickety split and got all cozey and warm. Amen.

  • And my mother found these amazing things in the grocery store of all places ~ Scrabble Cheezits! And thus, the girl dumped a pile on the table 5 year old style and the tiny church munchkins and I put them together and made words, new and old. It was so much FUN!










0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift