Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pointless Worrying ~ Part II

{continued ... }

A short while later, the door opened again. Dr. Stephen came through the door with an armful of Dental Equipment and a smile on his face. He was nothing like what I'd expected, and yet he was. It wasn't the weird kind of feeling you get when you're way off track about someone you've never met.

Instead it was an overwhelming relief in my soul that he appeared to be a down-to-earth sort of individual, one that might laugh easily. As I walked back down the hall to get everything set up for our first patients of the day, I clung desperately to the hope that this man would prove abundantly patient and forgiving of my probable countless mistakes.

I had been warned, yes. Dr. Stephen had a different way of doing almost everything than I had been taught {I'm learning that about the Dental profession -- everyone develops their own technique}. I hadn't expected anything out of the ordinary when I settled against the arm of my green-blue dental chair at nine o'clock.

Listening to Dr. Stephen converse with the older man lying in the chair between us, I pulled a pair of Latex gloves over my fingers and glanced at my set-up. Everything was ready for a typical filling -- you should know these are my favorite, mostly because they're quick and ridiculously easy. Not to mention, I can set them up with my eyes closed having done it so many times.

The man leaned over, pausing briefly over my set-up. He looked lost to me, and instantly my mind raced as I searched frantically to see if I had somehow forgotten something. I shook my head, everything was just as it should be. In fact, he had two of some things just in case. And just when I began to relax, thinking all was right in the world again, Dr. Stephen handed me his excavator. "I think I'm going to need some Calcium Hydroxide."

My mind went blank. He was going to need some Hydroxa-what?! Never mind the moment of panic that suddenly overtook me, filled my senses with an electric energy. I'd find what he was looking for, if it took me half the morning. "Okay, give me just a minute and I'll grab some for you."


Thankfully, Johnna had tucked the green jar just beneath our Aesthetics {tooth colored filling material} box, and I was settled back into my green-blue chair in three minutes flat. The older man got out of the chair twenty minutes later and said, "Well that was a piece of Cake. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas, ya hear?"

And the girl just sat there in amazement. Thus, the rest of the morning turned into a whole big shebang like extractions and a surprise root canal and things that all got chalked up to a Learning Experience. So when one o'clock came around, I grabbed my coat and headed down the road once everything had been cleaned up.

It turns out that most people don't enjoy hanging out at the library on the eve of Christmas Eve, so they'd closed up shop leaving me hanging. I munched popcorn as I drove aimlessly down the road, wondering what I'd do for a whole hour. Three minutes later, I parked my car at a hole-in-the-wall building with tacky wind chimes and Cuppa Joe's in fading red letters above the door.

Whoever Joe was, I'd give him half a chance to impress me since the exterior hadn't done much. Even as I pulled the handle on the door, I wondered what kind of individuals and low-life's I'd find lingering around in the dark confines of this ramshackle coffee shop.

But then, I opened the door and my heart smiled. A long wooden counter stretched out against one wall | classy decorated chalkboard menus boasted a strange and wonderful assortment of deliciousness | pastries and cookies filled glass domes | and on the opposite wall an eclectic assortment of seating {including a hammock of all things!} and rugs invited coffee lover's to crash ... get lost in the whimsical and yes, eclectic music filling the air.

It was then, that I promised myself I would be back. I could spend hours in a place like this, sipping Gingerbread Frappe's and surfing the web. Yes, even as I watched tiny Gingerbread Men dance from my cup, I knew in my heart I would be back.












0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift