Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Not Your Typical Tasteful Tuesday

I’m sitting at the bar, little blue coffee cup parked adjacent to my computer ... It's nearly one o'clock in the morning.

I’ve attempted Almond Biscotti for the first time EVER and feel I shall not come out of this episode unscathed. I’m watching it expand (and seemingly explode in my humble semi-nervous opinion) and wondering if maybe I really should have split it into two like the recipe suggested.

Nevertheless, what’s done is done and it might possibly take second place up there next to the biscuits I once made for my boyfriend. This is the earliest Tasteful Tuesday post in the history of Tasteful Tuesdays and for once, instead of posting a new recipe that I have either found or at least attempted in my lifetime, I decided to share with you the joys and woes of my life in The Kitchen.

First off, I am not Italian. After lots of practice, I can make a Country Biscuit that might make you sigh with delight. But that’s just country food, nothing fancy … Biscotti is well, it’s ways and methods are quite foreign to me. So here I sit, by the stove watching the timer wind down to who knows what.

 
I can imagine my Mother waking up -- after hearing me bang around the kitchen for a while; my attempts at baking/mixing in silence quite futile. Staggering sleepily into the kitchen, rubbing the side of her head like she sometimes does and asking, "What in the world are you doing? It's such and such a time."

The timer has finally wound down, my mother has yet to come staggering in, and the dishes have even been washed. We shall slice them up and pop them back into the oven for another ten minutes or so, enough time to tell you of my biscuits ...

If I had known almost four years ago that I would someday attempt biscotti and be reminded of my failed attempts at biscuits, the very day I lost faith in my abilities, I might possibly have taken a picture or two of these incredibly lumpy little biscuit mounds that rather reminded me of broken hearts.

It was a beatiful Sunday Morning in the middle of June, the house had just begun to stir with Sunday commotion as I tied an apron around my middle and set to work. Momma was busy whipping up a big skillet full of Western style Eggs and a pan of Gravy. Up until this point, everyone who ate them LOVED my biscuits. I had taken a recipe and just made it my own so really, it was fool proof ... or, so I thought.

My boyfriend's dad is an amazing cook, really he is. And instead of freaking out that he would hate them, I only worried he might critique them a little. So I thought maybe it would earn points to make them fluffier | higher | etc. THIS, well ...  this is where I failed on such an epic level I couldn't bring myself to make biscuits for months afterwards.

I only rolled them out about half an inch or so higher than normal, I thought they would be wonderful and the boyfriend's dad would never worry about his son going hungry. * yada, yada. I digress ... *

As I opened the oven door, my two pans of beautiful heart shaped biscuits looked more like golden lumps of broken hearts. They were lopsided and so very funny looking and well, it was Sunday morning and there simply wasn't time to make more. I'm sure I lost count of the times I apologized. But everyone was sweet and ate them anyways, after we got home from church my boyfriend even asked if he could have one before lunch.

"Are you even serious??" I could only stare at him for a handful of seconds. When he nodded, and asked me to go find him a biscuit, I could only shake my head. "You're ridiculous. But I love it."

Did he earn points in the girl's book for braving my flopped biscuits two times in a single day? You bet he did. * winks *


And in the short time I relived the horrible biscuit day { yay for reminiscing * happy sigh * } ... my Biscotti has turned out with a few happy nods from Lana as she ate some, and a sigh of relief from yours truly.

Ok, Okay, so next time I might start just a leeeetle earlier in the day. Say the afternoon maybe? Anyways, there's your tasteful Tuesday with a little bit of a twist AND remembering old times all at once. * smiles *

Hope you all have an absolutely amazing day! Enjoy every little thing that makes your day a Happy One.





0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift