Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Number Twenty-Four

Somewhere in the middle of my New Year’s Resolutions, between Soul Winning more and finishing that quilt I started an eternity ago, you’ll find three words carefully penned.


Read More Books
A long time ago, before I ever finished High School or applied for my first job, I would spend hours at the library. I craved adventure, and a good love story rolled into one. Sometimes, I wanted history plain and simple. I had stories at home just waiting to be written; all of which needed history and facts and reality woven into every chapter.

And as the smell of old books and knowledge filled my senses, my fingers ran over dozens of titles and finally a handful of thick adventure would fall from the shelves and into my eager hands.

But somewhere between cramming for finals, preparing for graduation and packing all my life into storage bins and heading off to college, I forgot the thrill and adventure that reading offered. The library no longer held a sense of wonder or fascination to me, it was just another quiet place to study. A place where no one went to socialize, where phones were forced into silence, where people more often than not caught a few minutes of much-needed sleep, their heads resting atop a pile of textbooks and notes.

No, the library was just another place for me.

And so, finding it one of the easier things to check off on my New Year’s Resolutions and plans, I headed to the library in search of just one book that would either make or break #24. I would give it one more chance to thrill and amaze me, to take me to places I hadn’t been in a long, long time.

But then, one book turned into three. And I found myself holding my breath from page to page, the clock ticking well past midnight. It was suddenly an obsession, this reading a book from cover to cover all in one night.

I love those books that inspire, that pull you into an amazing plot and grip your heartstrings in warm love and wring it out of all emotions, good and bad. I have an insane respect for authors that write in such a way that you forget what you’re reading is just another work of fiction. The characters come alive just as the author has conjured them up and imagined them to be for so many months.

For me, that’s what I missed the most. The power of a good book . . . The honesty, and the beauty, the inspiration. I just love it!

0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift