Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Word Is: Harmless

"I just don't get this, okay?" Joshua shook his head, rubbing frustration from his eyes. He had been tackling this particular page for maybe five minutes, every minute just creeping by. "I think I just need some help ..."

"Yeah, you need some help alright." This came from Mckenna, smirking behind her school box. The boy was sitting between us, on his knees. This is the way he usually sits on the benches on either side of our long kitchen table. He was glaring at Mckenna now, with feigned disgust. I don't know how he does it; even managing to hide those delicious little dimples of his in the process and looking so much like a man. * sigh *

Twelve seconds later, after the staring episode has come and gone, he's bent low over his school book and scribbling words down. He's talking to himself ... "She wants to die today, I know she does."

It was asking alot, holding back the smiles that suddenly tugged at the corners of our mouths. In fact, it was almost impossible. The munchkin child noted this fact and the dimples were back, he was intentionally goofing off to make us laugh.

"So what IS the word, Joshy Washy?" I leaned over, taking a good long look at the page he had spread across the table. Pictures of Animals littered one side, snakes | birds | fish | lions. He pointed to a word with one finger, chancing a look at me from the corner of his eye. It was then I knew he just wanted to socialize, he really did know the word. * winks *

"Welp, it's Harmless. The animals are Harmless. And ... is that sun bothering your eyes, Brit?" He squinted up at me randomly, then ducked low as the sun shined over my shoulder directly in his eyes. "Man! Somebody move that curtain will you?! Ugh ..."

Ok, I was done. No more holding back the laughter, the smiles. Mckenna and I looked at each other from across the table, Where did this child come from anyways?!

This is a typical school day around here, crazy | insane | ever comical. Only this morning, the fire has died somehow ... well really, it was smothered into non-existence. My little men are running around in holey jeans { the knees busted out in one or two from hours of playing cars in the dirt } and pretending like they're warm, while their sissies bundle up in sweaters and socks and consider getting the stove going again. Brrr ....

Well, I suppose there really is no other time like the present! * smiles *

0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift