Friday, February 10, 2012

It's All Greek To Me, Part II

We had a particular older lady come in for a fitting this morning. Her middle aged daughter tagged along to see all the "excitement". They had the same style, the same laugh that sounded more like giggles and they were very um ... shall we say exuberant? Yes, we'll go with that one.

At first it was fine and made me smile, and then after about an hour of hearing the same noisy chatter followed by mirrored giggles from down the hall, I considered the fact that such things could make one go crazy. Lucky for me, the lab needed a pick-me-up. Occasionally, Francis and I would chat for a few minutes in between our little jobs which made the day so much more enjoyable.

Our very last appointment of the day, a patient who had knocked a crown off. While Jay began to discuss what we would do about repairing the crown, I collected the things to take to our other office and cleaned up a bit. It was Friday, and I could feel relaxation creeping into my bones. Ah, what an amazing thing Friday afternoons are. I love waking up and knowing the weekend is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!

"Brittany," Jay's voice rose slightly from down the hall. I dropped what I had been doing in the lab and pushed the curtain aside, taking note of how things looked to be going. "I think we're going to go ahead and mix this cement up. Are you comfortable doing that?"

The five year old in me just comes out whenever I have the opportunity to mix things at work. No matter if it's clay mold mix | crown cement | or impression molds. It's totally different from mixing ordinary things, it's a science.

And so the girl smiled and nodded her head, quietly. My voice has been coming and going as it chooses all day, so very random. So with great care and a steady hand, I pushed the crown cement back and forth across the mixing surface. Then counted to thirty in my head until the cement was smooth and creamy. Jay looked over his shoulder, "Actually. I think I'm going to go ahead and let you finish that."

He quickly showed me how to load the cement into the crown and create the perfect indention underneath. When I had finished, he took the crown and completed the process. It's ridiculous I know, but trying something new was actually really great. That's how I've come to figure out whats what around the office and learning how to do things; by watching and trying it out myself.

So the day that felt so OFF, so crazy and hectic and imperfect turned out to be a really enjoyable and even relaxing in a weird sort of way kind of day! I am so thankful for all God allowed me to get done today, and for helping things to go so smoothly. I'm off to enjoy a wonderful weekend, and an even better Sunday!

0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift