Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What A Southern Girl Would Do

We are having some cabinets replaced in our kitchen, so this morning we were expecting them to be delivered. Momma & Daddy had taken Abs out to breakfast for her birthday, so he reminded us to keep a lookout between 9 and 1. They would leave the boxes on the porch and we wouldn't even have to go to the door, that's what the deal was. No sweat ... just stay inside, keep on doing whatever it was that we were doing.

The phone rang half an hour ago, the truck drivers were lost. Naturally, every GPS says we live out in the middle of a big field | away from civilization | no Hi-speed and children roam wild, barefoot and free. This was nothing new, Mckenna handed the phone to me and said, "Their phone's breaking up, go figure."

I doubted the men were somewhere standing like garden statues to get reception as the phone crackled in my ear. "Hello? Yes, just follow that road until ..."

They began talking to one another, and I assumed they had forgotten I was on the other end. I hung up the phone, and called the boys inside from the swingset. We've raised them to be cautious around strangers, and since we weren't planning to answer the door, it was better for them to be inside anyways.

Five minutes later, we watched in great fascination as a White Semi pulled down our drive. The boys were wide-eyed, "I didn't know a truck that big could fit in our drive-way!"

The older man came up the sidewalk. Oh drat, my car would be in their way and he was probably coming to ask if we could move it. I grabbed my keys from the kitchen and after a quick hello, etc I moved my car around to the side of the house and the Semi took its place.

They unloaded the stack of boxes -- more boxes than I had expected -- on the front porch and asked me to sign the proper papers. Just as I was about to go inside, the older man asked if he could trouble us to use our restroom.

You know the feeling when like 15 different thoughts run through your head, even though your answer should be beyond obvious? Well yeah, that's what happened to the girl. Only, she didn't blurt out No! like she probably should have. But I nodded that he could and we directed him to the restroom.

All three girls went into some army-like mode without consulting the other, I found this strangely fascinating. Mckenna paused just shy of the hearth in the living room, Lana plopped down on the steps casually and I waited near the basement door.

It was all fine and good, but still Mckenna stood there mouthing to me "What in the world?! I've heard stories, seen episodes of The Closer where these guys came in to use the restrooms every time they delivered something and each time they would unlock a window or something ..."

"Hush," I whispered, hoping the man couldn't hear us. Still though, I had too. But the fact we live in the boondocks had to be taken into consideration, and he was old and I'd want somebody to do that for my grandpa.

A few minutes later, he thanked us and they were gone.  Mckenna said "Oh my goodness. Go check the windows, Brit."

So I humored her, and did. After that, she came in and said "Kenna, what'd you want me to do?"

"I don't know!" Then she laughed, with a funny sort of smile and said, "There's a tree out there, want me to throw some toilet paper out there or just wait?"

"You're a dork," I laughed. She was such a crazy nut, but I would forever love her strange little sense of humor that was so much like my own. Ah, what a fun day it's been so far. * smiles *

0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift