Saturday, April 9, 2011

People Go To Jail For That

If I thought yesterday was interesting, it didn't have much on today. And that's no lie, by any means.

It all started off fine and dandy, with a text from a friend at 4am that I didn't wake up to oddly enough. So that pretty much was a nice thing to wake up to very much later today. And then my mother text me from the gym and said no need for me to rush, just to take my time. So I did, and that was amazing.

The girls and I cleaned the first house in record time, and I almost feel dumb for saying this but had a lot of fun while doing it. It was kind of gloomy and grey out this morning, so being indoors with poor lighting did much for my soul. Like made me crave a comfy place to crash with a good book or something. * smiles *

We get to the second house, and that went terrific too.

Third house, I'm thinking "Okay, we've definitely got this. We're on a roll."

I fumble with the 50-11 keys on the ring, unlock the door and all is well for about fifteen seconds. As I'm leaning down to pet the old golden retriever, I hear this beeping that's quite off rhythm. I stand up and look around and suddenly realize, "We aint on a roll, ya'll."

The alarm is doing this little countdown business, while I'm standing there watching it and thinking that just maybe it'll go off in a minute. Mckenna, having had this happen to her a long time ago, grabbed my arm and informs me we should get out. I'm still thinking and looking around, examining the alarm system ...

I turn around, just as the alarm starts screaming louder than a firetruck on the fourth of July. My sister has fled the scene after telling me the police will come. Elaina is standing on the porch looking at me like a good little sister does; exptecting her big sis to have a brilliant plan.

My brilliant plan?

Inspect the alarm three seconds longer, and step outside to call my mother. She can barely hear me over the screaming alarm, so I'm standing on the front porch in a quiet little neighborhood yelling at the woman who brought me into this occasionally zany world. Should I thank her? Probably.

She gets in touch with the owner of the house, and calls me back with the security code. Kudos for trusting the people who clean your abode, aye? Thank the Lord. I run back inside, the dog is pawing frantically at the door and making me feel terrible. Because the only thing I could think of was the poor dog being deafened if I should leave.  Just a side note here, if you're kind of rushing things because you're expecting the police on your doorstep at any minute, chances are you probably won't get the code right the first three times you try. * smiles *

Two minutes later, the alarm finally shuts off. Something is still randomly beeping, and then I hear this dial tone through the house. I'm standing in the foyer, the girls are standing on the sidewalk peering in like I'm scouting the house out for danger. And then out of nowhere a man's voice asks, "This is the Palmyra County Police, what's the security code?"

I swallow, and think for a minute. Now, I'll probably never forget that code ... I had no idea where I was supposed to go to talk to them, so I stood right there shouting which actually worked out just dandy. After explaining what happened, and that we had just talked to the owner of the house they turned the alarm off completely. Two minutes later, the guy called back over the invisible intercom "Ma'am, are you sure you're going to be alright? You sounded a little anxious."

I laughed, as my hands were still shaking considerably. I told him I'd be just fine in a minute, I just wasn't used to alarms going off. He laughed and told me to have a good day.

Do I want to do that again soon? Uh ... I'm going to have to go with Probably Not. * winks *

1 comments :

Matt said...

That has happened to me b4. lol It is not cool for sure. Hope you have a super-fantastic day. ;)

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift