Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Way Things Are

Today was ... I would love to repeat myself and say it intense. And while it was, it was really so much more. It was difficult | it was fun | it was dissapointing | it was long & now it's all over, just like that.

I dreaded this day until it arrived. I'm not a big fan of opening before 6am, but today it turned out to be a lot of fun. We were like speedy gonzales, my tiny friend and I. Jordan gave us a little refresher course on setting up the ice cream because sometimes there are different ways of doing things, and it turned out that I really had no idea what he was talking about.

So with Christy and I opening front this morning, it was definitely fun. I discovered she sometimes uses a ladder to pour lemonade into the fountain, and at 6am, this makes me smile. If only because it made me remember the time she slipped down the ladder when her skirt caught on the back. * winks *

Around 10:20 a man came through drive-thru asking if we had a particular breakfast item still. I said we didn't, since we were opening lunch in a few minutes. He thanked me and said he'd do a raincheck, but while I was responding, I accidently must've turned the switch on the headset off so he couldn't hear me talking. The next thing I know, a woman is hollering into my headset, calling me a name I don't particularly care for. I quickly apologized for the confusion, thinking this would make things right and we could forget her un-awesome attitude. She was having none of it, she mumbled to herself about the (COUGH!) not being able to take a (un-lovely word) order.

I gave Kristen a heads up that the girl coming around to the window wouldn't be very pleasant and to really go the extra mile for her. Can you imagine my surprise when the "girl coming around" turned out to be a sweet-ish looking Grandma?? All I have to say is, my faith in sweet looking, little old ladies has vanished.

Apparently, old ladies can holler a lot louder than you think. And they can sure give a sailor a run for their money, ma'am. Let me tell you ...

Our registers took a trip to Antartica again this afternoon, they froze up and we gave away large amounts of free food. Our customers were delighted, and I have to admit, the change of pace was almost welcome. I'm not going to lie. Finally, Steven & Brent got them up and running again somehow and everything went back to normal.

Among the highlights of my day was definitely when another woman came through drive-thru and asked for a peppermint milkshake. I explained that we no longer had that one, but for a limited time we had Banana Pudding Milkshakes. After discussing it with her passenger for what seemed like an eternity, she finally said "Yeah. Just give me a large & small one of them." She pulled forward, then threw it back in reverse. You have no idea the handful of different feelings I had when she demanded that I go wash my hands and put on two pairs of gloves when making her shakes, because I had no idea what kind of germs we could be spreading around.

I cut the headset off and looked at Dustin. "Do I have to do this?!" I asked. He said he'd never heard of anything crazy like that, neither had Devonte. But I halfway did what the woman asked, and put on a pair of gloves knowing that my testimony & keeping the peace were more important.

Still, all the while I was so frustrated because I'd had nothing but a handful of difficult customers back to back for the last little bit. "Germs my eye ... craziness." I don't typically sweat the small stuff, but I guess I was quickly reaching my breaking point, because Dustin came over, grabbed the next order and told me to take it easy.

In that moment, he was such a life-saver. I was feeling WAY overwhelmed just then and his help was a big blessing. But soon, I was able to clock out and eat a quick supper before running to church. It was grey and rainy -- perfect snuggly weather in my opinion. And thus, I had a hard time staying away on my way there, and in nursery once I got there. I actually fell asleep reading Dr. Suess Tongue Twisters to Peanut. She grabbed the book from my hands and pretended to sleep, making little sounds. It was pretty cute!

Glad this day is pretty much behind me, because bed sounds more amazing than you can even imagine. * smiles *

Until Tomorrow, World.

0 comments :

Post a Comment


Every Moment We Have Is A Precious Gift